Undergraduate degree programs
Undergraduate sustainability degrees and programs are flexible, interdisciplinary,
and problem-oriented. Our undergraduate programs in sustainability introduce students to the problems of sustainability.
The BA in Sustainability is an undergraduate degree best suited to students interested in social sciences, humanities, planning or related fields. Students learn concepts and methods relevant to the sustainability of environmental resources and social institutions, evaluating the sustainability of environmental institutions, legal frameworks, property rights and culture.
The BS in Sustainability is an undergraduate degree best suited to students inclined toward natural sciences, economics, engineering or related fields. Students learn concepts and methods relevant to the sustainable use of environmental resources, evaluating the sustainability of technology, the built environment and environmental regulations and policy.
The School of Sustainability offers the following joint accelerated programs designed to enable highly qualified undergraduate majors to earn both a Bachelor degree and a Master of Sustainability Solutions degree in five years.
ProMod is a one-of-a-kind program at Arizona State University that allows students to work closely with faculty and peers by engaging in projects that apply their learning to real-world situations.
Common Learning Outcomes
Graduates will be able to:
- Think in a holistic way about sustainability problems.
- Understand the concepts of sustainability, the issues involved, and the disciplines needed to address real-world problems.
- Evaluate the role and effectiveness of a broad range of methods of inquiry and analysis.
- Understand the concepts and methods of different academic disciplines and the way in which these can address sustainability challenges.
- Work collaboratively and in multidisciplinary teams.
- Understand ethical issues related to sustainability.
- Develop sustainable institutions for water, land, air, and urban management at the local to global level.
- Develop creative, adaptive solutions to sustainability challenges.