School of Sustainability undergraduate degrees and programs are flexible, interdisciplinary and solutions oriented. They introduce students to a breadth of complex sustainability challenges and help them develop the knowledge and skills needed to implement solutions.
Sustainability undergraduate programs are available at the Tempe campus, Polytechnic campus, Downtown Phoenix campus and ASU Online.
Bachelor of Arts in sustainability
The BA in sustainability is an undergraduate degree best suited to students interested in social sciences, humanities, planning or related fields. Students learn concepts and methods relevant to the sustainability of environmental resources and social institutions, evaluating the sustainability of environmental institutions, legal frameworks, property rights and culture.
Bachelor of Science in sustainability
The BS in sustainability is an undergraduate degree best suited to students inclined toward natural sciences, economics, engineering or related fields. Students learn concepts and methods relevant to the sustainable use of environmental resources, evaluating the sustainability of technology, the built environment and environmental regulations and policy.
Bachelor of Science in sustainable food systems
The BS in sustainable food systems is an undergraduate degree for students interested in careers in the food and agriculture sector. Students learn to be innovative problem solvers who understand the complex interconnections between food, natural resources, policy, economic opportunity and social equity.
4+1 accelerated bachelor’s + master’s
The School of Sustainability offers the following joint accelerated programs designed to enable highly qualified undergraduate majors to earn both a bachelor’s degree and a Master of Sustainability Solutions degree in five years.
Common learning outcomes
Graduates will be able to:
- Think in a holistic way about sustainability problems.
- Understand the concepts of sustainability, the issues involved, and the disciplines needed to address real-world problems.
- Evaluate the role and effectiveness of a broad range of methods of inquiry and analysis.
- Understand the concepts and methods of different academic disciplines and the way in which these can address sustainability challenges.
- Work collaboratively and in multidisciplinary teams.
- Understand ethical issues related to sustainability.
- Develop sustainable institutions for water, land, air, and urban management at the local to global level.
- Develop creative, adaptive solutions to sustainability challenges.