4+1 Accelerated Master’s Programs
The School of Sustainability offers the following joint accelerated programs designed to enable highly qualified undergraduate majors to earn both a Bachelor degree and a Master of Sustainability Solutions degree in five years:
- Bachelor of Arts in Sustainability (BA) / Master of Sustainability Solutions (MSUS)
- Bachelor of Science in Sustainability (BS) / Master of Sustainability Solutions (MSUS)
Students accepted into these programs share designated 500-level coursework, allowing the student to complete both degrees more quickly.
To be eligible for admission to a 4+1 program, a student must:
- Have a 3.0 GPA in the last 60 credit hours of undergraduate coursework.
- Have accumulated at least 75 credit hours toward the undergraduate degree at the time of application; 90 credit hours are required to begin the program.
- Have completed at least six credit hours of upper division coursework in the major.
- Be on track to graduate with the undergraduate degree two semesters after being accepted into the program (one calendar year later than the acceptance date).
Students who do not meet these criteria may still apply to the MSUS program through the standard process as they near completion of their undergraduate program, but GRE scores will be required.
Thank you for your interest in applying to a graduate degree in the School of Sustainability. Students must apply directly to ASU Graduate Admissions .
The following instructions are for ASU students currently enrolled in the BA or BS degree programs in the School of Sustainability. They apply only to applicants to the 4+1 program which grants a Master of Sustainability Solutions (MSUS) degree. Admission information for external applicants to the MSUS may be found here.
Applications for this program are accepted for fall admission only. All application materials must be received by December 15 of the preceding year. Complete applications include transcripts and recommendations. We suggest that applicants submit the application no later than November 15, allowing their references a month to complete online recommendation letters by the December 15 deadline. References cannot submit letters until the application is submitted. Late applications will not be accepted.
The following information pertains to the Master of Sustainability Solutions (MSUS) 4+1 program for current School of Sustainability majors.
Graduate admission requirements
All applicants must meet the basic requirements of Graduate Admissions.
- Application. ASU uses a generic application for all graduate programs .
- $70 application fee for domestic applicants and $90 application fee for international applicants. Applications submitted without the fee will not be processed or reviewed. In addition to the normal application fee, a $50 non-refundable late processing fee will be charged for all applications submitted on or after the dates posted for session C on the Graduate Admissions website .
- Official copy of transcripts. Unofficial copies will not be accepted. Students should send transcripts from each university or college they have attended (ASU transcripts do not need to be sent). Official transcripts are normally sent from the issuing institutions in sealed envelopes, stamped and verified by the issuing institutions.
If sending by U.S. mail send transcripts to:
Arizona State University
Graduate Admission Services
P.O. Box 870112
Tempe, AZ 85287-0112
If sending by FedEx, DHL or UPS send to:
Arizona State University
Graduate Admission Services
1151 S. Forest Avenue, #SSV112
Tempe, AZ 85287-0112
- Undergraduate Progress Requirements (specific to 4+1 programs) Have a 3.0 GPA in the last 60 credit hours of undergraduate coursework. Have accumulated at least 75 credit hours toward the undergraduate degree at the time of application; 90 credit hours are required to begin the program. Have completed at least six credit hours of upper division coursework in the major. Be on track to graduate with the undergraduate degree two semesters after being accepted into the program (one calendar year later than the acceptance date).
- Equivalent to a B average. (Applies to the last 60 semester hours or 90 quarter hours of undergraduate coursework)
All application materials submitted to Graduate Education will be forwarded to the School of Sustainability.
School of Sustainability requirements
In addition to Graduate Education requirements, the School of Sustainability requires the following:
- Recommendations. Three recommendations are required. Applicants will be asked to provide contact information for their recommenders through the online application and will be asked whether or not they would like to waive the right to view the recommendations submitted. Upon completion and submission of the application, the recommendation form and instructions will automatically be sent to the recommender and they will be asked to submit their recommendations online.
Applicants to the 4+1 MSUS degree program: At least one letter of recommendation must be from a School of Sustainability faculty member recommending admission to the accelerated degree program. Additional references should be from educators (preferred) or professionals familiar with the applicant’s experience and capability for graduate work. It is highly recommended that the recommendations are academic in nature and address the applicant’s experience and potential for success in a graduate program; however, we will also accept professional recommendations. Applicants will be able to check the status of their recommendations online at MyASU.
- Statement of intent. All applicants must upload a statement of intent when completing the online application. In no more than 600 words, applicants must explain the goals they intend to achieve through their program of study at the School of Sustainability. Applicants should describe how their background will contribute to their success in the program and how completion of their degree will support their long-term career goals. Finally, applicants should elaborate on project ideas they wish to pursue as part of their program of study.
- Resume or CV (required). Applicants must attach their resume or curriculum vita to their application.
The Graduate Record Examination (GRE) is not required from applicants to the 4+1 MSUS degree program.
Important information about the 4+1 program
- This program is designed to be completed in 5 years total. Students must complete their undergraduate degree within one year after acceptance to this program. Students not able to complete the undergraduate portion of the degree within four years and the MSUS degree in one year will not be allowed to remain in the program.
- Some scholarships and awards may be affected by admission to the 4+1 program, as this changes a student status from undergraduate to graduate. Students are advised to check with the specifications of their awards with the Financial Assistance Office to see if this will affect compensation packages.
- Students admitted into the 4+1 program are not entitled to teaching assistantships, health insurance, or other graduate awards.
Have a question about the 4+1 program?
Ask us about sustainability at ASU and the diverse environmental, social, and economic focused degrees offered by the School of Sustainability!