ASU provides a drop/add period for courses at the beginning of each semester. The Executive Vice President and Provost of the university determine the add/drop period after consultation with the university senate. This time period provides an opportunity for students to complete their registration during the first part of a semester but sometimes results in a student’s missing class sessions, assignments, exams, deadlines for papers, laboratory assignments, and so forth. This occasionally results in a student’s inability to meet requirements of the course that are incumbent upon other students. In such a case it is the student’s responsibility to make up any assignments such as questions, homework, papers, or tests that the instructor requires of other students during that time period.
Each session has its own Add/Drop deadline. These dates are attached to the course on the Class Search and are outlined on the Academic Calendar.
If a student wants to add a SOS course after the Add/Drop deadline:
- The student will need to pick up an Enrollment Request form from the SOS Student Services Center or print one out https://students.asu.edu/lateregistration/sustainability
- The student will fill out the majority of the form including the back, which states how they will make up the missed work.
- The student will need to then obtain the signature of the instructor offering the course on the first page and acknowledge the catch-up documentation.
- After obtaining the instructor signature, the student will then have to get a signature from their major advisor.
- After obtaining the signature from their major advisor, the student will then have to get the signature of the department offering the course. If it is an SOS course, the student can bring the form to the SOS Student Services Center for a signature.
- After the student has gotten all three signatures, they must hand-deliver the form to the Registrar’s Office, which is located on the first floor in the Student Services Building. The Registrar will then manually add the student to the course.
*Although it is up to the instructor to decide if they would like to allow the student into the course after the Add deadline has passed, please consider how much time has passed since the start of the course and only sign off on the form if you believe that the student can still be successful in the course and make up any missed assignments.
If a student wants to drop a SOS course after the Add/Drop deadline:
It is the policy of the School of Sustainability to not sign off on any Late Drop forms. It is the students’ responsibility to pay attention to the Add/Drop deadlines and make any schedule changes before the deadline passes.
If the Course Withdrawal deadline has not passed, the student can still withdraw through their MyASU and will receive a “W” on their transcript. They can only withdraw through their MyASU if they are registered for more than one class (otherwise it is a Complete Session Withdrawal). After the Course Withdrawal deadline, the student needs to do a Complete Session Withdrawal.
There are some exceptions to this policy, in which case the student will need to follow all the same steps outlined above. The School of Sustainability Standards Committee will review the form.