About the Bachelor of Science in sustainability
Students interested in natural sciences, engineering and economics will be at home within the Bachelor of Science (BS) program. This program equips students with an understanding of real-world sustainability issues and the knowledge to sustainably use environmental resources, technology and plan built environments and environmental regulations and policy.
Students can pursue the following tracks within the BS in sustainability:
- Sustainable energy, materials and technology
- The economics of sustainability
- Ecosystems sustainability
Students in the School of Sustainability master a set of core sustainability concepts that include systems thinking, future thinking, values thinking, strategic thinking and collaborative competency.
BS in sustainability students will gain a general understanding of sustainability issues in this environmental degree program. They will be adaptable, capable of both communicating and learning across a number of disciplines, and have a strong orientation towards problem solving and quantitative methods.
In addition to the common learning outcomes, BS students will be able to:
- Understand the concepts and methods of environmental economics, ecology, environmental biology, hydrology, environmental chemistry, engineering, earth-systems management and other disciplines relevant to the sustainable use of environmental resources.
- Apply these concepts and methods to developing sustainable strategies for water, land, air and urban management at the local to global level.
- Evaluate the sustainability of technology, the built environment and their environmental regulations and policy.
At Arizona State University, a major map outlines a major’s critical requirements, courses and optimal course sequencing and helps students get on the right track to graduation.For more information and to view current and archived majors maps, see the ASU Degree Search.
Have a question about the Bachelor of Science in sustainability?
Ask us about sustainability at ASU and the diverse environmental, social and economic focused degrees offered by the School of Sustainability!
For more information about our programs, select one of the options below.