The School of Sustainability encourages undergraduate and graduate students to take advantage of as many career development opportunities as possible to enhance their academic experience.
ASU offers services to help undergraduate and graduate students interested in career development. Below are links to programs available through the university:
Connect with our career specialists
Connect with us on LinkedIn. Create a profile and request to join the following group that is reserved specifically for School of Sustainability students:
- The ASU School of Sustainability LinkedIn group is for the students and alumni of the School of Sustainability at Arizona State University. It serves to provide a place for networking and the exchange of ideas, as well as remaining connected to the School of Sustainability.
- Sustainability Connect is the place for School of Sustainability graduate and undergraduate students to find all the information about our current internship opportunities. For information about how to pursue an internship for credit, please review our policies and procedures at our Sustainability Internships resource page.
Build your network and your résumé while doing something you love. Get involved locally with groups on and off campus.
- Arizona Forward brings business and civic leaders together to convene thoughtful public dialogue on regional issues and to promote cooperative efforts to improve the environment and livability of Arizona communities. They host several monthly networking events and have discounted membership for students.
- The Arizona Green Chamber of Commerce advances sustainable and diverse economic development in the Valley and statewide. The group hosts monthly “lunch and learn” events and evening networking events.
- Campus Student Sustainability Initiatives (CSSI) is the leading organization on campus that focuses on identifying sustainability challenges and leading initiatives and events in order to improve ASU’s sustainability efforts. Students lead and participate in a number of sustainability related projects on campus.
- Net Impact mobilizes a new generation to use their careers to drive transformational change in their workplaces and the world. If you are interested in corporate sustainability, this is the place to network and search for jobs. Net Impact has undergraduate and graduate chapters on the ASU campuses that are open to students from the School of Sustainability. There is also a professional chapter in the Valley as well.
- The Association for the Advancement of Sustainability in Higher Education (AASHE) is helping to create a brighter future of opportunity for all by advancing sustainability in higher education. If you are interested in a job in higher education, AASHE offers discounted memberships to students and hosts a yearly conference that boasts over 5,000 attendees.
Graduate college career development
Graduate certificates can be completed alongside a graduate degree or, in some cases, as a stand alone program.
Professional development for international students
Professional Credential for All Students
GRI (or Global Reporting Initiative) is the world’s most widely used standards for companies, governments and other organizations to report sustainability activities. More than 75% of the world’s largest 250 companies report GRI. ASU’s School of Sustainability has built the first 100% online, self- paced GRI training. Students get special pricing, can receive a certificate of completion from GRI and showcase GRI Standards training on their resume.
Other ASU resources
- Career and Professional Development Center
- Graduate Student Organizations
- Graduate and Professional Student Association (GPSA) Professional Development Travel Grants
Curriculum Vitae (CV) resources
A well-crafted CV is crucial for landing a job in academia after graduation. Below are resources to assist you in creating your CV:
- Stanford University’s Graduate Student Career Guides
- MIT’s Curriculum Vitae Guide
- Dartmouth College – Writing Your Curriculum Vitae
- ASU’s Career and Professional Development Center’s Curriculum Vitae Samples and Webinars